Phase One

Well it has finally begun... the trek to Oklahoma. We had a few days to gather everything together and spend time with family. We got up around 3:30 on Saturday to start the drive. Spencer was not to happy about waking up early on his one day to sleep in but lucky for him I started driving and he got to snooze a bit.

The fastest route to our first stop, Amarillo Texas, was a scenic route. I really wanted to stop and visit the Grand Canyon at sunrise, how cool would have that been! Unfortunately I told my self if it was 50 miles out of the way we were not going to go and it was 45 miles, sigh. But there were still many beautiful places we saw along the way.

LEFT:  Beautiful sunrise around the Grand Canyon area, CENTER:  Good Morning!!  LEFT:  A cool canyon Spencer wanted to take a picture of.
So it was an exciting day we drove, and drove, and decided to drive some more. My darling Spencer took over about 5 hours into the drive and drove the rest of it. We made it all the way across the top of New Mexico and there was only one ugly part of the drive. I was so surprised how pretty that area was!

About the end of New Mexico and the beginning of Texas we got some big storms. They were really fun except for the million of Semi-trucks on the road! The storms covered the whole horizon, you could not see a thing. It was pretty amazing driving into them.
 
LEFT:  The first cool storm, CENTER:  Getting quirky around Albuquerque, LEFT:  The beginning of the second storm
The storms broke up the drive so it did not get old. But we made to Amarillo Texas with little to no incidences. We were lucky to find a hotel and a cheap one at that. I do not know how people make it across the country with out a Garmin, it saved our life! It listed all the closest Hotels and I could call them to see if they had a room. Most of the prices were close to 100 bucks!!! But we found Camelot, literally and it was pretty cheap. We got there around 6 pm, grabbed some food and crashed for the night.

Comments

Popular Posts