A Christmas Adventure
With all this planning going around it popped in my head to ask some of the Nurses at work about Spencer’s blood Clot leg. To see if that leg would show signs of damage because Spencer’s leg had been swelling and aching again. Needless to say on Wednesday I called Spencer from work and made him head over to Urgent Care just to get his leg checked out before we went of a long Plane flight.
As soon as I was done with work I headed right over to the urgent care and met up with Spencer. He was just coming back from getting a Doppler done on his leg to see if there was a blood clot. The Doc called us back and gave us the bad news, the clot had returned with a vengeance it ran from his ankle to his thigh. The Doc was admitting us to the hospital and thus ruining our Christmas Extravaganza.
I ran home, cleaned like a mad woman, walked the dog, and packed Spencer’s suit case. Once he got home I made him shave and finish getting ready for his stay. At this point he realized he could not find his wallet and with it nowhere in sight we left for the Hospital. I sent Spencer to the check-in while I drove everywhere he had been. I eventually gave up (after I went to the Ultrasound department, called the Urgent care, and went to the lost and found – which is lost in and of itself especially when I was told two different locations for it and St. Francis is not an easy place to maneuver). On my way to Spencer’s room he called me and told me someone at the Urgent Care had found it and brought it over to his room, the angel!
Spencer hanging out in his bed
Chris and Kim bought us flowers and a Christmas guy and we brought a picture of the Wienz to keep Spencer company!
It was not until the next morning when the Doc came in and told Spencer his CT scan was clear. However later that day they also did a Chest X-ray which showed some fluid around his lungs, explaining the shortness of breath and chest pain. Spencer then went down for a Thoracentesis (they stick a needle in his chest around his lungs and pull the fluid out). So when I returned Spencer was happy that his chest was feeling better and his roommate was gone (nice guy just weird to share a room). We then moved him over to the bed closest to the windows. I stuck around really late trying to talk to a nurse (Toto, I don’t think we are with Intermountain anymore) to find out his blood levels so I could piece together what was going on.
On Christmas Eve morning Spencer doctor came in and told him he could go home, needless to say we were ecstatic.
I ran over once he was ready, packed up his room and we were off. I dropped his prescriptions off and then got Spencer home. Pretty soon He and the dog (which was very excited to see him) were dead asleep in the recliner. I left to go pick up his prescriptions and on my way home figured I would go get a Christmas tree, so I did!
All the “Real” Christmas trees were 50% off so I got a big fluffy one off the lot, 7ft and as round as Santa’s fat cousin, sort of stuck in in my trunk, and yes I carried it into the house. It is now proudly standing on our living room taking up the whole walk way between our dining room and Living room.
Isn't it Pretty
Later that evening Megan and her boyfriend Logan brought over some left-overs from their Christmas Dinner and some Non-alcoholic Sparkling Grape Cocktail as well as some treats made by Logan’s mother. I could not believe the kindness and thought from a family we do not even know. We have not had the easiest time adjusting to Tulsa but when you find friends like that it makes you feel at home. We really enjoyed the wonderful meal but even more so kindness that went into it.
We are now relaxing at home, enjoying our Christmas treats and the big tree!! Spencer is technically on bed rest for the next two weeks until his risk of the Blood Clot moving to his lungs is lower. Unfortunately they do think tiny blood clots might have already moved to his lungs that might not show on the CT Scan. So in two weeks we are going to a follow up exam to see if they did any damage.
This is the Culprit!!! And we figure this blood clot has been a dear friend of ours for almost 3 years now so I have decided to name it Dennis, after Dennis the Menace.
Of course this has not been the Christmas we had been looking forward to. However, I have my Spencer at home with me and considering all that happened and could have happened, He is doing well and we happy to be together but I think the Wienz is happiest of all (He was nearly forgotten throughout the whole ordeal!)


Comments
Post a Comment